Telecommunications development programme for 2006-2010 adopted in Belarus
Author: Mikhail Doroshevich
Belarusian Ministry of Communications adopted Telecommunications Development programme 2006-2010 on October 23, 2006.
The Programme objectives are:
- to further development of telecommunications services for all the
categories of users;
- to create national Informatization networks in order to provide access to
information for all the citizens of the country.
The Programme defines the following priorities:
- preparation to "operations in the context of joining of Belarus to the WTO";
- extension of data transmission networks;
- public network analogous equipment replacement by the digital one;
- introduction of the up-to-date information technologies;
- introduction of new telecommunications and mail services based on new ICTs.
In particular, it is planned to have 80 per cent digital equipment at the
automatic exchanges, and to increase the number of stationary telephone
receivers up to 3609,3 thousand (38 per 100 inhabitants). The government is
going to extend fiber optic lines by 7,2 thousand km. Broadband access to
the national operator's network (Beltelecom) will amount to 240,5 thousand
of ports by the end of 2010. The number of mobile communications network
subscribers will total 8 mln.
It is also planned to create 3G mobile communications networks. 1885 - 2025 MHz and 2110 - 2200 MHz radio frequency bands are to be allocated for IMT-2000
communication providers on competitive basis.
The Council of Ministers of the Republic of Belarus
Ministry of Communications and Informatization of the Republic of Belarus
This information may be reproduced provided that E-Belarus.org is given as the source.